Banner

Banner

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Weaned


More than anything, I've always wanted this.  
I have had it once, briefly 
I had reluctantly and regretfully walked away
My should've could've would'ves haunted me 
And I felt like half the woman I wanted to be


I made promises quietly to you as you sat warmly in my belly
I would fight to give you what you deserve; what I deserve
I refused to walk away this time


It was difficult, Physically and emotionally. 
Nourishing you was the one most challenging experience I've ever had
But, I thank you for it. 
From the bottom of my heart,  I thank you
I thank you 
For the pain, surgery, tears, toung tie, over supply
Pumping
Pumping
Pumping
Syringe feeders, nipple shileds, reluctantly buying bottles
Lactation consultants
WIC 
Personal calls from doctors 
The ones who encourage
The one who begged me to stop the maddness 
 Friends telling me how proud they were of me not giving up. 


But... I wanted to. I really did.  
I was tired
I thought maybe it wasn't for me.
I was okay with that thought. 
Anger would rise within me when you got hungry 
I knew it was time for pain
And I would tense up or pretend you needend something else
But eventually I surrendered
And you would look at me knowingly 
Eyes full of love
Love
Sparking with forgiveness
Utterly needing me to keep pressing on
And so I did
I kept going
I begun to enjoy our journey 
I thought it would just be a season where I nursed my baby
Little did I know were we going.


27 months 
a lifetime and yet so short
 
Breastfeeding was a gift 
It restored what was broken in me
What was ripped from me
As the scabs healed 
My heart healed
I promised to nurture you the best way I could
To my surprise, you were the one to nurture me
This was the best thing that ever happened to my body
I gave our relationship permission to overpowered all done wrong to it

Nursing you day and night  
Night and day 
In The stillness of night
With The stars abright 
We sat
We talked
I cried
I worshiped


Thank you for 27 months
Thank you for the challenge 
The challenge that allowed me to forgive myself 
Thankful for the acknowledgment that I do not give up
To forgive others who took from me and how to take what they took back
Thank you for showing I can love my body
To be proud of my body
Thank you for that, my dear sweet WuWu
Love,
Your grateful Mommy 


 WuWu never has had a drop of formula 
 Our breastfeeding relationship showed me how to let go of the guilt of not being able to feed Monster
Breastfeeding made me appreciate formula. Breastfeeding erased all judgement within me.
Breastfeeding healed the wounds I had emotionally from being raped. 
It changed my path to something better.
Though I was tied to her, that tether gave me freedom. Freedom that I did not know existed. 




5 comments:

  1. So very proud of you!!!!!
    ((((((((((Beth))))))))


    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this for so many reasons. Much beauty in the contrasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! "Though I was tied to her, that tether gave me freedom. Freedom that I did not know existed." ~So agree with you! Way to go Momma!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful Beth! I can relate to this and I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete